Saturday, March 10, 2012

Civil servants deserve the pay rise

I REFER to “The best solution” (The Star, March 9). This 13% pay rise for civil servants is well received. Yes they deserve it. The Government has been very considerate.

I see the entire civil service benefits. I am glad, too, that the Government is able to do this, especially with the country’s good economic performance.

I hope our civil servants work harder to satisfy the needs of the rakyat. Complaints about their performance must be a thing of the past.

I know we have many good officers but we, have some black sheep too. They must be told off, and if they do not improve, be taken off the pay sheet.

We need a civil service that serves the public, not trouble them or send them on a merry go round!

That said, by and large, we have a civil service we can be proud of.

I, too, hope there is something for pensioners. I did not read anything to that effect when the pay rise was announced.

And I hope these good measures by the Government for civil servants aren’t derailed by unscrupulous traders/merchants who may, as they usually do, raise the prices of goods.

What good is a pay rise if it is the traders who gain from it?

We must avoid such situations. Enough is enough.

Apply the Anti-Profiteering Act on those who fleece the rakyat.

And besides working passionately for pay rises I hope our unions will aggressively work at reducing price increases and other malpractices in the market, too.

BULBIR SINGH,
Seremban.



THE STAR ONLINE

No comments: