Monday, March 12, 2012

Improved civil service now services leader

WITH reference to “Sidek: Little things can mean a lot to public” (The Star, Mar 9), it is really encouraging to see Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Sidek Hassan stressing to new senior government officers the importance of serving their customers well.

This shows the level of seriousness of our country’s public services led by its exemplary chief to serve its customers – us, the rakyat – better.

It is indeed heartening to read a few readers’ positive reviews of good and commendable services rendered of late by a number of our public services.

I dare to say visits to public service departments nowadays are no longer a hassle or as scary as they used to be. Previously, my list of experiences included long hours of waiting, irritable or unfriendly counter services, incompetency and many visits to complete one transaction.

My recent visit to the National Registration Department was a breeze. The registration of my daughter’s birth was really a good experience. The environment was relaxing and a very competent staff completed the task briskly. I was out of the building quicker than expected.

As for the Immigration Department, I was really impressed that I could collect my passport within an hour. Previously, I would have to return another day to collect my new book. And the officer at the information counter was full of smiles during my enquiry.

At the Inland Revenue Board and the Public Service Department, I was also greeted by courteous and friendly staff. All my inquiries were met with great enthusiasm, swiftly and, most importantly, accurately.

I would like to congratulate all of them and also the leadership in arriving at this level. The challenge now is to keep improving.

However, while we are witnessing improvement in our public services, the private sector, in particular the services industry, is providing questionable levels of customer service.

I would say a decade or two ago, the services rendered by the private service industry were leaps and bounds ahead of the public sector’s.

Honestly, with the public sector raising the bar, I would have expected the services industry in the private sector to follow suit but, sadly, it is not the case. In fact, many of my recent experiences convinced me it has dropped a few notches.

I have had my fair share of bad experiences at fast food outlets. I loathe the long queues. I do understand business is brisk, especially during peak hours, but standing in queue is definitely no fun.

I have often wondered why none of our fast food operators have introduced the numbered system. At least customers can take a seat before their orders are taken.

Many in the services industry also lack knowledge and experience. I was at a restaurant and my food had not arrived after 45 minutes. I called the waitress to check and she explained that there was a mix-up in the kitchen.

The explanation should have come to me before I asked.

I also have my fair share of bad experience with the banks. The usual grouse is the long wait. Also, I have had poor encounters with counter staff who were inflexible and lacked courtesy.

Some cases just required common sense and basic principles of customer service to resolve.

Retailers’ services, too, are questionable.

Luckily, so far, my stays in hotels have been to expectations.

Chief executive officers and managing directors in the private sector can do well to pay more heed to customer service. Leadership and vision in this aspect should not be neglected. Reinforce customer service principles, intensify training, and apply key performances indices to the staff.

And to Tan Sri Sidek, my sincere thanks to you and your whole force in the Public Service Department. Keep it up and continue the improvements.

K.T. TEH,
Kuala Lumpur.



THE STAR ONLINE

No comments: